Organic Land Care Accreditation Training
Landscapers and gardeners, learn about organic practices and get accredited in this 5-day training!
Oct 08, 2012 09:00 AM
Oct 12, 2012 05:00 PM
|Where||Good Shepherd Center; 4649 Sunnyside Ave. N., Room 107, Seattle, WA 98103|
|Contact Name||Sheri Hinshaw|
|Contact Phone||(206) 633-0451 ext. 125|
|Add event to calendar||
If you are a landscaper who uses organic practices, or if you are a landscaper who would like to learn how to use organic practices, this training is for you!
Landscapers, did you know....?
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that only 35% of the synthetic fertilizer that we apply to our lawns ever makes it to the grass. The other 65% runs off into our lakes, rivers, streams and oceans, or seeps into our wells and ground water, or into the air we breathe. Even worse, the EPA estimates that only 2% of weed killers, insecticides and fungicides used in chemical lawn care ever make it to the weeds, pests or diseases. That means that 98% of those poisons is wasted pollution.
Organic Landscaping Provides Sustainable Alternatives!
Organic landscaping practices reduce the risk of exposure to these toxic chemicals, improve soil health and water quality and contribute to biodiversity in our urban environment.
Organic Training & Accreditation in Seattle
Professional landscapers – learn about sustainable practices and be a part of the solution! Seattle Tilth is partnering with Oregon Tilth to bring Organic Land Care Accreditation to Seattle. Together we are offering a 5-day training for landscape professionals in:
• Sustainable landscape design
• Organic weed management
• Integrated pest management
• Soil building
• Storm water management
The course will take place October 8-12 at the Good Shepherd Center at 4649 Sunnyside Avenue North, Seattle. Class will be held from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. each day that week. Accreditation is offered to all individuals who attend this training, pass the examination and agree to abide by the program requirements and standards. In this intensive course, you can get accredited, gain credibility and develop a new professional niche!
Participants in the training will receive a copy of the Oregon Tilth Organic Land Care Field Guide and the Oregon Tilth Organic Land Care Policies and Standards. The guide works to inform and clarify preferred, required and prohibited practices for use in the Organic Land Care (OLC) Program.
$495 "Early Bird" rate before September 1
$550 (September 1 and after)
Scholarships are available for Washington state residents and businesses.
Local/organic lunch and snacks included!
The exam is $100. Accreditation may be renewed in two- year increments through twelve (12) hours of continuing education and a biennial renewal fee of $175.
See our full list of Seattle Tilth classes.